PDI Blog

Do You Have a Brownfield in Your Community?

TAB At Kansas State UniversityDo you have a brownfield in your community?  Brownfields are defined as sites where redevelopment and reuse interest has been hindered by known, or suspected, environmental issues.  Many times brownfields could be redeveloped without any significant environmental costs or challenges, but without answers to these questions, these sites remain obstacles to redevelopment.  


The Technical Assistance to Brownfields (TAB) Program, sponsored by the US Environment Protection Agency, and in cooperation with the Iowa Department of Natural Resources, helps guide local governments through the brownfield redevelopment process, using custom-tailored teams of experts, to address site-specific needs. The US EPA recently selected Kansas State University  as the TAB provider for the state of Iowa, and TAB can provide, free, site-specific support to your community, especially if you don’t have the time and resources to do things like planning for re-use of sites (to include charettes and economic feasibility analyses), inventorying potential brownfield sites, identifying/addressing environmental issues, writing competitive grant proposals and finding other financial resources, issuing/reviewing RFPs for environmental consultants, and document reviews, etc.. Our core expertise is in planning and environmental due diligence, and we involve other experts as-needed. We partner with other universities and resources in the local areas we work as much as possible.


Examples of services provided under the TAB program are:


*   Strategic planning and brainstorming to develop a course of action for brownfield reuse efforts

*   Redevelopment visioning workshops and economic feasibility analysis

*   Assistance with sustainability education and planning

*   Identifying potential funding sources for brownfield site assessment, cleanup, or redevelopment

*   Assist communities with environmental justice issues and how to access federal, state and regional resources

*   Review of grant applications (other than EPA)

*   Serve as liaison between communities and state or federal agencies, or other entities

*   Help requesting bids and reviewing proposals from environmental consulting firms

*   Review and summary of technical documents

*   Assistance with community outreach

*   Assistance with community gardening at brownfield site

*   Assistance with staff training regarding brownfield issues

*   Technical presentations (e.g., workshops and webinars) on topics of interest


More information about available assistance and how to request help is on our web site at www.ksutab.org  , or you can contact Blase Leven, the TAB Program Coordinator, at 785-532-0780 or baleven@ksu.edu. Make sure to take advantage of this free service!







Written by PDI
Categories :

Comments on this post