In 2013, PDI celebrated 40 years of growing Iowa's economic base in 2013. Take a look at what our past leaders and allied partners have to say about our proud history in the 40th Anniversary Booklet
and on YouTube
A Brief Timeline of PDI's 40 Year History
Become a member
- PDI formed as Iowa Professional Developers in 1973 with around 50 members.
- Membership was first limited to those doing 100% economic development and included primarily the state development office, utilities, rail transportation companies, and full-time community developers.
- In late 1980s, membership was broadened to include community colleges, extension services, workforce development, and councils of governments.
- Also, in the late 1980s, the organization’s focus and mission were changed from industrial development to economic development.
- In 1989, the organization re-incorporated as Professional Developers of Iowa.
- The late 1980s and the 1990s saw the creation of many new county-based economic development groups.
- During this time, membership grew rapidly with women members comprising an ever-larger percentage of the total.
- Conferences were included as a member benefit and were held twice a year, with the spring conference alternating between western and eastern Iowa and the fall annual meeting in central Iowa.